W.A. Holliday Store, ca.1931
- Unknown, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Photograph showing the interior of the W.A. Holliday Hardware Store at 113 Brock Street South.
- William Albert Holliday was born at Coboconk, Ontario, on March 17, 1866. His family moved to Brooklin where his father, Thomas Jackson Holliday, kept a General Store. In 1886 he started working in his father's store and took over the business in 1889 after his father's death. He sold the Brooklin store in 1912 and moved to Toronto. William returned to Whitby in 1926 and took over Fred Maundrell's hardware store at 113 Brock Street South. He sold the store to Walter MacCarl in 1941. The MacCarls operated the hardware store until 1984.
William Albert Holliday was the Brooklin correspondent for the Whitby Chronicle in 1892. From 1894 to 1913 he was the Treasurer of Whitby Township and for 12 years he was superintendent of the Brooklin Presbyterian Sunday School. He was the youngest charter member of the Brooklin Council No. 102 of Royal Templars of Temperance in 1883. He spent the later part of his life in Whitby and died at Oshawa on November 3, 1954. He is buried in Mount Lawn Cemetery, Whitby.
- Date of Original:
- ca. 1931
- Date Of Event:
- ca. 1931
- Personal Name(s):
- Holliday ; Maundrell ; MacCarl
- Local identifier:
- Digital Photograph Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Kim MacCarl
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- D18_001_002, Archives at Whitby Public Library, www.ourontario.ca/whitby
- Location of Original:
- Original is owned by the donor.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Digital scan was made of original on May 18, 2018.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address