Donald Fleming, c.1985
- Unknown, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A black and white negative of Donald Fleming.
- Donald Fleming was born at Whitby, Ontario on 18 December 1932. In his youth he was a stock car racer in Whitby and was always interested in the sport. For more than 10 years (1975-85) he was a sponsor, coach and executive member of the Whitby Girls' Softball Association and coached many teams to league championships. In 1997 he was one of the founders of the Whitby Sports Hall of Fame and was its first Chairman for a number of years. In 1989 he jointed the Rotary Club of Whitby Sunrise, and was later named a Paul Harris Fellow. With the Club, he helped build the Lakefront Park at Whitby harbour. He was also a member of the Kinsmen Club of Whitby. He spent 13 years on the Board of Governors of the Whitby General Hospital, serving as Chairman in 1984-85. He was a lifetime member of that board. Mr. Fleming was a Barbershop singer for more than 25 years and his chorus won an International award in 1977. He operated a Shell service station in Whitby from 1960 to 1967, Fleming Auto Service from 1967 to 1969, and later Fleming Realty. He was named winner of the Peter Perry Award as Whitby's outstanding citizen in 2002. Mr. Fleming passed away on 5 January 2017.
- Date of Original
Width: 1 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s)
- Fleming, Donald
- Corporate Name(s)
- Rotary Club ; Kinsmen Club ; Whitby General Hospital ; Shell Service Station ; Fleming Auto Service ; Fleming Realty
- Local identifier
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.8807192488826 Longitude: -78.9398142391395
- Recommended Citation
- Donald Fleming, c.1985, Photographer Unknown. Whitby Archives A2016_017_020A.
- Reproduction Notes
- Scanned from a black and white negative.