Whitby Centennial Building
- Unknown, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Colour photograph of the Whitby Centennial Building on Centre Street.
- The Ontario County Courthouse was built from 1852-1854 on the west side of Centre Street between Ontario Street and Gilbert Streets. The architects for the building were Frederic Cumberland and William Storm of Toronto. This building was the county courthouse until 1964.
In September 1964 the Ontario County Courthouse was chosen as Whitby's Canada Centennial Project to be converted into a community centre. The Whitby Centennial Building was officially opened on February 18, 1967. A three million dollar renovation was completed in 2003 to mark the building's 150th anniversary and it is now the home of the Whitby Court House Theatre and Whitby Brass Band.
The building has been renamed and is known as the Whitby Centennial Building. It is located at 416 Centre Street South, Whitby.
This photograph is one of 19 promotional photographs highlighting a variety of Whitby's buildings and spaces, including businesses, Town facilities, and industry.
- Label under photo:
"Whitby Centennial Building
Centre St. S. Whitby 416-668-5371
Built 1852 - former County building - now Municipal community centre"
- Date of Original
Width: 35 cm
Height: 27.5 cm
- Personal Name(s)
- Cumberland, Frederic ; Storm, William
- Corporate Name(s)
- Town of Whitby
- Local identifier
- Digital Photographs
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.88342 Longitude: -78.93287
- Copyright Statement
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Recommended Citation
- Whitby Centennial Building, ca. 1983, photographer unknown. Whitby Archives photograph D2016_004_016.
- Reproduction Notes
- Scanned from photograph on hardboard. Originals have been deaccessioned.