According to the Tweedsmuir History written by the Brooklin Women's Institute, the village of Brooklin had a circulating library as early as 1852. Jeremiah Frost, the Clerk for the Township of Whitby, was appointed the first Librarian in 1859. The Librarian was tied to the Township Clerk's position until Daniel Holliday retired as Librarian in 1916 and his daughter, Robina Marie took over the role.
The circulating library lasted until the Brooklin Public Library officially opened in 1897 with a Board of Directors. By 1912 the Brooklin Library had 141 members and just over 2800 volumes. At this time the library was located on the second floor of the building at at 58 Baldwin Street (formerly Thomas Jackson Holliday's store). Members paid an annual fee to access the library's services.