700 Brock Street South, March 23, 1938
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of the front of 700 Brock Street South in Whitby, Ontario. View is from the street looking north. This house is located on the south-west corner of Brock Street South and Trent Street West.
- William Davidson was born near Guelph on 2 December 1889 and came to Whitby to assist in the construction of Ontario Hospital in 1913. He was an engineer responsible for the building of steam installations at the hospital.
From 1917 to 1962 he operated an automobile dealership in Whitby. Davidson was a member of council in 1924, 1929-1935, 1944, and 1960-1964. He was deputy reeve in 1936-1937 and mayor from 1947-1949. In 1945, he revived the Whitby Chamber of Commerce and was chairman of the Public Library Board and member of the Public Utilities Commission. He received the Peter Perry award in 1957.
William married Emily Jane Swain (1890-1976) on 23 December 1913 in Holland Landing, Ontario. They had two children: Edna and James Thomas.
Mr.Davidson died at Oshawa on 26 October 1965 and is buried at Mount Lawn Cemetery, Whitby.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- 23 March 1938
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie ; Davidson, William ; Davidson, Emily Jane Swain ; Davidson, Edna ; Davidson, James Thomas
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Marjorie Ruddy
- Recommended Citation:
- 700 Brock Street South, March 23, 1938 , Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_971B.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address