Rev. Edwin Adye Receiving Book Rest , May 26, 1938
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify the man in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of an unidentified man holding a book rest that he will present to Reverend Adye. Carved into the book rest is a cross and the words "Holy Bible". In this view Reverend Adye is standing to the right of the unidentified man. They are both facing the photographer.
- Rev. Edwin Ralph Adye was born in London, England on 6 October 1897. He came to Canada in 1906 and attended school at Hamilton, ON. He served in the First World Wars and was wounded at Hill 70 in 1917. When he returned to Canada, he served on the staff of the Department of Soldiers' Civil Rehabilitation.
After graduating as an Anglican priest from Wycliffe College in Toronto in 1925, he was a rector in Kinmount, ON. From 1928-30 he was assistant rector at St. Peter's Anglican Church in Cobourg and rector at All Saints' Anglican Church in Whitby from 1930-1941.
While in Whitby, Adye was chaplain of Branch 112 of the Canadian Legion and organized a drumhead service in Whitby on 24 October 1937 for Legion members throughout Ontario. He was vice-chairman of the Legion Provincial Command and Chairman of the Poppy Fund. From 1941-1945, Adye served in England as a chaplain with the Canadian Army.
He was named a Canon of the Anglican Church in Canada and died at Florida on 12 April 1982. Adye is buried at Sanctuary Park Cemetery in Toronto.
- Date of Original:
- 26 May 1938
Width: 1.5 cm
Height: 1.5 cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Adye, Reverend Edwin
- Corporate Name(s):
- All Saints' Anglican Church
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Rev. Edwin Adye Receiving Book Rest, May 26, 1938, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_939D.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address