Bird/Smith Wedding, February 1940
- Mystery Question:
Can you identified the people in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of Mr. & Mrs. Smith and their wedding party in February 1940. In this view from left to right: unidentified man, Mr. Westland Smith, Mrs. Elva (Bird) Smith, and unidentified woman.
- Mr. Westland Addison Smith was born and raised in Bedford, Quebec. He moved to Whitby in 1938. Mrs. Elva (Bird) Smith was raised in Whitby, Ontario. Westland and Elva were married in February 1940. They had two children: Cherry and Matthew.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- February 1940
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie ; Smith, Westland Addison ; Smith, Elva Bird
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Marjorie Ruddy
- Recommended Citation:
- Bird/Smith Wedding, February 1940, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_911D.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address