Richard Goldring's 80th Birthday, August 31, 1939
- Ruddy, Marjorie G., Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of Richard Goldring standing outside and holding one of his grandchildren. This photograph was taken on August 31, 1939 on the occasion of Richard's 80th birthday.
- Richard Goldring was born at Mimico, Canada, West on August 31, 1859 and moved to Etobicoke Creek in 1862. Captain Goldring and his family moved to Port Whitby and in 1893 he purchased a house at 1750 (now 1751) Dufferin Street and lived there the rest of his life. He entered his father's shipping business and in 1876 was put in charge of his own sailing boat. About 1885 he became Captain of the "Maple Leaf", a two-masted schooner used for carrying coal and stone, called a stone-hooker. The "Maple Leaf" removed stone from the bottom of Lake Ontario. He also used the "Maple Leaf" for cruises out of Toronto and Whitby. In 1908, Captain Goldring rescued two boys from drowning in the waters off Port Whitby and was awarded the Royal Humane Society gold medal for life saving.
In 1911, Captain Goldring retired from sailing and purchased a store with groceries at Port Whitby and his family operated it until it was closed and demolished in 1967, as well he operated a fuel business and coal sheds at Whitby Harbor. He retired from the store in 1942. Captain Goldring served two years on the Whitby Board of Education, and was a long-time member of St. John's Anglican Church at Port Whitby. It was the site of the Port Whitby Post Office from 1913 to 1967. He died at Whitby on October 6, 1945, and is buried at St. John's Anglican Cemetery, Port Whitby.
- Date of Original:
- August 31, 1939
Width: 1.5 cm
Height: 1.5 cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Goldring, Richard ; Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina ; Goldring, Reverend Norman
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Marjorie Ruddy
- Recommended Citation:
- Richard Goldring's 80th Birthday, August 31, 1939, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_814D.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address