Arnold/Young Wedding, August 18, 1939
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify the woman in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of Thomasine (Tommy) Arnold (left) and an unidentified woman at Arnhills in Pickering, Ontario. In this view they are sitting together on a swing. Trees and shrubs are visible in the background.
- Lillian Arnold married Cromwell Young on 18 August 1939 at her parents’ residence known as Arnhills, in Pickering, Ontario.
Harry Arnold (1877-1971) married Irene Curtis (1881-1961) on 6 June 1910 in Port Hope, Ontario. They had five daughters: Mary, Lillian, Thomasine (1915-1978), Ada (1917-1986), Elizabeth Margaret (Betty). The family lived at "Arnhills" in Pickering, Ontario.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- 18 August 1939
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina ; Arnold, Harry ; Arnold, Irene Curtis ; Pettijohn, Mary Arnold ; Anderson, Thomasine Arnold ; Cockburn, Ada May Curtis ; Young, Lillian Ellen Arnold ; Reid, Elizabeth Margaret Arnold
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Arnold Family, August 18, 1939, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_775B.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address