Crawforth Farm, October 12, 1938
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of the residence of Mark Crawforth. The large brick house was photographed from the front. It has two chimneys. A second residence is visible behind two trees.
- This house was built about 1878 by Whitby Township farmer Mark Crawforth (1857-1934) about the time of his marriage. It was located on the north side of Base Line at the Whitby - East Whitby Township border. The house was demolished circa 1998. The farm was was demolished for the construction of Highway 401 in 1939.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- 12 October 1938
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina ; Crawforth, Mark
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Crawforth Farm, October 12, 1938, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_774A.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address