75th Birthday for Harriet and Mary Esther Pringle, July 30, 1938
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify the woman in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white negative of Mary Esther Cormack (nee Pringle) and Harriet Wilson (nee Pringle) sitting under a pergola at their 75th birthday party. Their is an unidentified woman sitting in between them.
- Harriet and Mary Esther Pringle were twin daughters of James Pringle, a Whitby hotel keeper, and his wife, Mary Corbett. The twins were born 23 July 1863 in the National Hotel at the north-east corner of Brock and Water Streets at Port Whitby.
The Pringle twins were the first children to be baptized in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church which opened in November 1859.
In 1955 Harriet became Whitby's Centennial Queen being, at the age of 92, the town's oldest native resident. Mary died at Whitby 31 May 1950 and Harriet died at Whitby 17 June 1957.
The John Pringle family came to Canada from Edinburgh, Scotland in 1833. In 1836 the family relocated to Whitby from Cobourg.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- 30 July 1938
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Cormack, Mary Esther Pringle ; Wilson, Harriet Pringle
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- 75th Birthday for Harriet and Mary Esther Pringle, July 30, 1938, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_758D.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address