Hangar and Whitby Yacht Club, c.1938
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of Norman Irwin's airplane hangar. There is an unidentified person sitting in a sailboat docked in front of the hangar.
- The Whitby Yacht Club was founded in the fall of 1933 and disbanded during the Second World War. The clubhouse was built on the east side of the Whitby harbour basin in 1934. The hangar was built in 1935.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina ; Irwin, G. Norman
- Corporate Name(s):
- Whitby Yacht Club
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Hangar and Whitby Yacht Club, c.1938, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_735C.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address