Gardens at Stonehaven, June 1939
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of the back lawn at Stonehaven taken in July of 1939. In the background are a stable and an outbuilding. A tennis court is on the right side of the photograph.
- G. Norman Irwin (1903-1983) was owner and operator of Red Wing Orchards located at Highway 2 and Lakeridge Road from the late 1920s until 1983. His residence at the orchard was known as Stonehaven. Red Wing Orchards got its name from G. Norman Irwin's plane which had red wings. The orchard is currently Highland Farms, Ajax.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- June 1939
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie ; Irwin, G. Norman ; Irwin, Kathleen
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Gardens at Stonehaven, June 1939, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_703B.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address