Photograph of a Portrait of an Unidentified Man, c.1940
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify the man in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of a studio portrait of an unidentified man sitting in a chair with his legs crossed and his hands in his lap. Marjorie Ruddy took a photograph of this portrait. Negative envelope does not state who or when the original photograph was taken. We believe the image to be of a Ruddy family member.
- Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Photograph of a Portrait of an Unidentified Man, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_701A.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address