Reverend and Mrs. Marshall, November 14, 1939
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of Reverend David Marshall and his wife Helen (Nellie) on the front porch of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Manse. This view was taken from the street.
- Reverend David Marshall was born at Perthshire, Scotland on July 1, 1890. He studied for the ministry at the University of Glasgow and served with the Royal Army Medical Corps in Belgium and France during the First World War. He was posted to British Guiana from 1921 to 1929. He spent six months at Richmond Hill, Ontario in 1929 but returned to British Guiana to organize misssionary work. From 1939 to 1960 he was minister of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Whitby. He was vice-president of the Whitby War Effort Committee and Padre of the Canadian Legion Branch 112. He was Moderator of the Toronto East Presbytery in 1954. He died at Whitby on December 14, 1964, and is buried in Groveside Cemetery, Brooklin.
This house at the north-east corner of Centre and Gilbert Streets was built in 1902 as the manse for St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (at 210 Gilbert Street West). It served as a manse until 1957, and was demolished in 1977.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- 14 November 1939
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina ; Marshall, Reverend David ; Marshall, Helen Whytock
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Reverend and Mrs. Marshall, November 14, 1939, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_687C.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address