Clayton Alexander Freeman, December 11, 1938
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of a portrait of Clayton Alexander Freeman in his dress uniform taken on December 11, 1938. In this view he is sitting in a chair that is on an angle to the photographer with his arms on the arm rests.
- Clatyon Alexander Freeman was born on 1 May 1896 in Walkerton, Ontario. He married Lillian Henderson on 30 June 1923. They had one son, Donald Freeman. Mr. Freeman was a veteran of the First World War. Later in life, after the death of Lillian, Mr. Freeman married Myrtle Clemens. He died in Newmarket, Ontario on 8 April 1980 and is buried in Mount Lawn Cemetery, Whitby, Ontario.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- 11 December 1938
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina ; Freeman, Clayton Alexander
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Clayton Alexander Freeman, December 1, 1938, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_677D.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address