Guild of All Arts Alumnae Tea, May 12, 1938
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify anyone in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of two groups of unidentified women walking along a path towards the Guild Inn on May 12, 1938. The women were participating in the Guild of All Arts Alumnae tea held at the Inn.
- The Guild Inn was located in Scarborough, Ontario. The proprietors, Rosa and Spencer Clark, formed the Guild of All Arts at the Inn. In return for room and board artists would share their art and knowledge with the Guild and its visitors (Miedema, Gary. The Guild Inn. heritagetoronto.org/the-guild-inn/, August 5, 2014).
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- 12 May 1938
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina ; Clark, Rosa ; Clark, Spencer
- Corporate Name(s):
- Guild of All Arts ; Guild Inn
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Guild of All Arts Alumnae Tea, May 12, 1938, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_653D.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address