Horse Show, August 16, 1939
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify anyone in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of spectators at a horse show held on August 16, 1939. In this view unidentified men are walking by men sitting on wagons attached to horses. The horse show was held on the property of the Whitby Lawn Bowling and Tennis Club. Hand written on the negative envelope is the name Corb Stiner.
- Corbett (Corb) Henry Stiner was born on 18 August 1894 in Uxbridge, Ontario. He married Grace Marion Collacutt (1902-1973) in 1920 in Whitby, Ontario. They had one daughter, Judith Lynda Stiner. He owned and operator a car dealership in Whitby and was a veteran of the first world war serving overseas with the 116th Battalion. Mr. Stiner died on 23 March 1963 and is buried in Mount Lawn Cemetery, Whitby, Ontario.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- 16 August 1939
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie Ruddy ; Stiner, Corbett (Corb) Henry
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Horse Show, August 16, 1939, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_641C.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address