Whitby Lawn Bowling and Tennis Club c.1937
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of the Whitby Lawn Bowling and Tennis Club. In this view a large number of people are bowling. The clubhouse at left was made from an old building moved from Centennial Park in 1931. This negative has started to degrade.
- In 1927 the Whitby Lawn Bowling and Tennis Club was formed and acquired the property bounded by Brock, Burns, Green, and Pitt Streets. A clubhouse was built on the site in 1931. The property was eventually acquired by the Rotary Club in 1943 and sold to Ontario Housing Corporation in 1973 for the construction of an apartment for seniors. The clubhouse was also demolished in that year.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie
- Corporate Name(s):
- Whitby Lawn Bowling and Tennis Club
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Lawn Bowling and Tennis Club c.1937, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_626A.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address