Marjorie G. Ruddy was a photographer and newspaper reporter who came to Whitby in 1917 and attended Whitby High School and the Ontario Ladies College. She founded the first company of the Girl Guides in Whitby and enlisted in the Canadian Womens Army Corp. (C.W.A.C.) where she worked as X-ray dark room technician at Chorley Park Military Hospital and was later appointed press liaison officer at the Trinity Barracks on Harbord Street. She became the first female councilor in Whitby in 1949. She wrote for the Globe and Mail and had a photography studio in Whitby, Ontario, Canada.
This collection consists of photographs, negatives and scrapbooks that document a range of events and subjects mainly in the history of Whitby. Included are material collected in her capacity as a newspaper columnist, photographer and Girl Guide. These records also contain an assortment of newspaper stories and photographs of Whitby Modern Players. The photographs in this collection include pictures of homes, churches, construction projects, local landmarks and personalities.