Model of Beecroft Hospital Bed, April 30, 1950
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white large format negative of a hospital bed taken on April 30, 1950. The view is of the side of the hospital bed which is upside down.
- According to the Toronto Star of January 23, 2008, Julian Balfour Beecroft (1908-2008) was schooled in Toronto and was an extremely accomplished pianist who received an invitation from George Gershwin to visit him in New York. Unfortunately Julian's piano career ended tragically in a woodworking accident in which he lost three fingers. Julian turned his creativity to boat building, photography equipment, furniture making and then metal machining. He built and operated the first wire and tape voice recorders in the late 1920s but failed to patent them in time. Mr. Beecroft held a patent for the design of the hospital bed shown in the above photograph.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- 30 April 1950
Width: 5 in
Height: 3 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie ; Beecroft, Julian Balfour
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Marjorie Ruddy
- Recommended Citation:
- Model of Beecroft Hospital Bed, April 30, 1950, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_567.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white large format negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address