Inside Whitby Community Arena, February 26, 1955
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A black and white large format negative of machinery inside the Whitby Community Arena.
- The Whitby Community Arena was built between 1953 and 1954 on the site of the Burns and Taylor arena. It was located on the block bound by Brock, Ontario, Green, and Gilbert Streets. The Community Arena was official opened on 29 September 1954. It operated until 1972, when it was condemned under provincial building standards and demolished.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original
- 26 February 1955
Width: 4 in
Height: 3 in
- Personal Name(s)
- Ruddy, Marjorie
- Corporate Name(s)
- Whitby Community Arena
- Local identifier
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.8762667054227 Longitude: -78.9400368624878
- Recommended Citation
- Inside Whitby Community Arena, February 26, 1955, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_281.
- Reproduction Notes
- Scanned from a black and white large format negative.