Red Wing Orchards, October 14, 1950
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify the woman in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white large format negative of an unidentified woman standing high on a ladder picking apples at Red Wing Orchards.
- G. Norman Irwin (1903-1983) was owner and operator of Red Wing Orchards located at Highway 2 and Lakeridge Road from the late 1920s until 1983. His residence at the orchard was known as Stonehaven. Red Wing Orchards got its name from G. Norman Irwin's plane which had red wings. The orchard is currently Highland Farms, Ajax.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
- 14 October 1950
Width: 4 in
Height: 3 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie ; Irwin, G. Norman ; Irwin, Kathleen
- Corporate Name(s):
- Red Wing Orchards
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Marjorie Ruddy
- Recommended Citation:
- Red Wing Orchards, October 14, 1950, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_230.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white large format negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address