Mr. and Mrs. John Lawrence Smith, c.1870
- A. Barrett, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Cartes de visite
- A carte-de-visite of Mr. John Lawrence Smith and Mrs. Elizabeth (Strickland) Smith.
- John Lawrence Smith was born on Lot 21, Broken Front Concession, Whitby Township, on 11 October 1838, and was a farmer all his life. He was one of the founders and first trustees of the Whitby Methodist Tabernacle, and a founder and member of the Board of Directors of the Ontario Ladies' College in 1874. He was a member of the Whitby Township Council in 1875-77 and 1890-92; Deputy Reeve in 1893-97 and Reeve in 1883-4, and in 1898. He was Warden of Ontario County in 1884. He died at his farm at Corbett's Point, Lot 21, Broken Front Concession, Whitby Township on May 24, 1928 and is buried in Union Cemetery, Oshawa.
Mrs. Elizabeth (Strickland) Smith was born at England, on June 30, 1841, a daughter of John Strickland who lived in Oshawa. She married John Lawrence Smith, a Whitby Township farmer, on December 31, 1867, and died on the Smith farm at Corbett's Point, lot 21, Broken Front Concession, Whitby Township, on March 18, 1913. She is buried in Union Cemetery, Oshawa.
- Date of Original:
Width: 2.5 in
Height: 4 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Smith, John Lawrence ; Smith, Elizabeth Strickland
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Mr. and Mrs. John Lawrence Smith, c.1870, A. Barrett. Whitby Archives A2014_007_001.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a carte-de-visite.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address