Samuel Cochrane War of 1812 Dedication Ceremony, December 2013
- Megan Pugh, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Digital prints
- A colour photograph of a musket on a blue drape that is covering Samuel Cochrane's gravestone in the Society of Friends' Cemetery, Ajax, Ontario.
- Samuel Cochrane (1793-1879) was born in Bakersfield Township, Vermont, U.S.A on 29 June 1793. He moved to Whitby circa 1812 and married Deborah Powell (1795-1862) on 4 April 1815. They raised a large family of 10 children: Smith (1816-1846), Henry (1818-1846), James Powell (1820-1889), Caroline (1822-1898), Clarissa (1824-1812), Abram (1826-1896), Phoebe Ann (1832-1834), Elizabeth (1835-1912), Samuel H. (1837-1872) and William Maurice (1844-1900). After the death of his first wife, Deborah, Samuel married Mary Carpenter on 14 October 1863. He died in Whitby on 14 July 1879 at the age of 86. An “e” was added to the surname Cochrane at some point.
During the War of 1812, Samuel was drafted twice and volunteered once; he saw action in the battle of Detroit. He would later draw a pension for his service in the War of 1812 at the age of 82. On 18 December 2013 a ceremony was held in the Society of Friends' Cemetery in Ajax, Ontario to commemorate Samuel's service during the war of 1812. He is the first Durham veteran to be honoured with a plaque at his grave. This honour is part of the War of 1812 Graveside Project sponsored by Heritage Canada.
- Date of Original:
- 18 December 2013
Width: 800 px
Height: 515 px
- Personal Name(s):
- Cochrane, Samuel ; Cochrane, Deborah ; Cochrane, Mary
- Corporate Name(s):
- Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 112 ; Society of Friends' Cemetery ; Heritage Canada
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Whitby Archives
- Recommended Citation:
- Samuel Cochrane War of 1812 Dedication Ceremony, December 2013, Megan Pugh. Whitby Archives D2014_002_006.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Uploaded from a digital file.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address