Yacht Race Winners and Host, 1936
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of Ward Irwin and Betty Arnold, winners of the Moorland Cup, with Commodore J.H. Perry and W.H. Moore M.P. From left to right: Commodore J.H. Perry, W.H. Moore, Betty Arnold and Ward Irwin. A building can be seen in the background.
- Moorland Cup was a sailing race from Whitby, Ontario. The cup was created and awarded by W.H. Moore M.P. After the race the competitors attended an event hosted by Mr. Moore at his home, Moorland. Moorland Estate was located near the mouth of the Rouge River. The property was expropriated in the 1960s and become the Petticoat Creek Conservation Area in 1975.
This photograph was published in The Evening Telegraph on September 9, 1936.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original:
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie ; Perry, J.H ; Moore, W.H ; Arnold, Betty ; Irwin, Ward
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Yacht Race Winners and Host, 1936, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_186C.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address