John Whitelaw Gravestone, April 22, 1941
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white negative of John Whitelaw's gravestone in Union Cemetery, Oshawa, Ontario.
- John Whitelaw was born on November 26, 1879 to Alexander and Margaret (Manderson) Whitelaw. He died on February 4, 1911 in a railway accident near Paris, Ontario.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
To the memory of/ my loving husband/ John Whitelaw/ Killed at Paris/ Feb. 4th 1911
- Date of Original:
- 22 April 1941
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie ; Whitelaw, John
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- John Whitelaw Gravestone, April 22, 1941, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_153A.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address