Unidentified Woman and Judge Robert Ruddy, c.1936
- Mystery Question
- Can you identify anyone in this photograph?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A black and white negative of an unidentified woman and Judge Robert Ruddy sitting in front of a piano.
- Robert Ruddy was born in Brock Township, Ontario County on April 30, 1861 and was educated in Uxbridge and Port Perry. He was called to the Bar in 1889 and practised law in Millbrook until 1909 when he went to Peterborough. He came to Whitby as Ontario County Judge in 1917 and served until he retired on December 1, 1936. He died at Whitby on November 9, 1940 and is buried at St. John's Anglican Cemetery, Port Whitby. Mr. Ruddy was Marjorie Ruddy's father.
Marjorie Georgina Ruddy (1908-1980) was a prominent Whitby photographer and the only commercial photographer in Whitby during the 1930s and 1940s. Marjorie was the official photographer for the Whitby Police Department starting in the 1930s and as a result took many photographs of car accidents, fingerprints and crime scenes. (Station Gallery. Whitby Through the Lens Photographs by Marjorie G. Ruddy, 1935-1948. Whitby: Station Gallery, 2010.)
- Date of Original
- 26 June 1936
Width: 1.5 in
Height: 1.5 in
- Personal Name(s)
- Ruddy, Marjorie ; Ruddy, Judge Robert
- Local identifier
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.8796462608064 Longitude: -78.9421397143554
- Recommended Citation
- Unidentified Woman and Judge Robert Ruddy, c.1936, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_141A.
- Reproduction Notes
- Scanned from a black and white negative.