Grand Reopening Ceremony of the Whitby Centennial Building, June 14, 2003
- Photographer Unknown, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A colour photograph of the Whitby Centennial Building. View is of the cupola on top of the building.
- The Ontario County Courthouse was built from 1852-1854 on the west side of Centre Street between Ontario Street and Gilbert Streets. The architects for the building were Frederic Cumberland and William Storm of Toronto. This building was the county courthouse until 1964.
In September 1964 the Ontario County Courthouse was chosen as Whitby's Canada Centennial Project to be converted into a community centre. The Whitby Centennial Building was officially opened on February 18, 1967. A three million dollar renovation was completed in 2003 to mark the building's 150th anniversary and it is now the home of the Whitby Court House Theatre and Whitby Brass Band.
The building has been renamed and is known as the Whitby Centennial Building. It is located at 416 Centre Street South, Whitby.
- Date of Original:
- 14 June 2003
Width: 6 in
Height: 4 in
- Corporate Name(s):
- Whitby Centennial Building
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Whitby Archives
- Recommended Citation:
- Grand Reopening of the Whitby Centennial Building, June 14, 2003, Photographer Unknown. Whitby Archives A2013_033_002.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a colour photograph.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address