Ontario County Courthouse, 2004
- Photographer Unknown, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A colour postcard of the Ontario County Courthouse. View is looking south. This postcard was printed as part of the sesquicentennial celebration for the Town of Whitby in 2005.
- The Ontario County Courthouse was built from 1852-1854 on the west side of Centre Street between Ontario Street and Gilbert Streets. The architects were Frederic Cumberland and William Storm of Toronto. The extension at the north end was added in 1866. The building served as a courthouse from 1854-1964.
In 1967, the building was renovated as part of Whitby’s centennial project for use as a community centre. In celebration of its 150th anniversary, the building was again renovated in 2003 and is now the home of the Whitby Court House Theatre and Whitby Brass Band.
The building has been renamed and is known as the Whitby Centennial Building. It is located at 416 Centre Street South, Whitby.
- Top right: Whitby Ontario, Canada
Bottom right: 150 years
- JPF MS
- Place of Publication:
- Date of Original:
Width: 5.5 in
Height: 4 in
- Corporate Name(s):
- Ontario County Courthouse
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- JPF MS
- Recommended Citation:
- Ontario County Courthouse, 2004,JPF MS. Whitby Archives.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from original postcard.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address