Ontario County Courthouse, September 25, 1965
- Brian Winter, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A black and white photograph of the Ontario County Courthouse. View shows the back of the courthouse at the northwest end.
- The Ontario County Courthouse was built from 1852-1854 on the west side of Centre Street between Ontario Street and Gilbert Streets. The architects were Frederic Cumberland and William Storm of Toronto. The extension at the north end was added in 1866. The building served as a courthouse from 1854-1964.
In 1967, the building was renovated as part of Whitby’s centennial project for use as a community centre. In celebration of its 150th anniversary, the building was again renovated in 2003 and is now the home of the Whitby Court House Theatre and Whitby Brass Band.
The building has been renamed and is known as the Whitby Centennial Building. It is located at 416 Centre Street South, Whitby.
- Date of Original
- 25 September 1965
Width: 2 in
Height: 2 in
- Personal Name(s)
- Winter, Brian
- Corporate Name(s)
- Ontario County Courthouse
- Local identifier
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.8754993555452 Longitude: -78.9433765411377
- Copyright Statement
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date
- Copyright Holder
- Whitby Archives
- Recommended Citation
- Ontario County Courthouse, September 25, 1965, Brian Winter. Whitby Archives A2013_004_405.
- Reproduction Notes
- Scanned from a brownie camera negative.