Whitby Centennial Building Opening, February 18, 1967
- Brian Winter, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white photograph of Vernon McCarl on the steps of the Whitby Centennial Building on February 18, 1967.
- The Ontario County Courthouse was built from 1852-1854 on the west side of Centre Street between Ontario Street and Gilbert Streets. The architects for the building were Frederic Cumberland and William Storm of Toronto. This building was the county courthouse until 1964.
In September 1964 the Ontario County Courthouse was chosen as Whitby's Canada Centennial Project to be converted into a community centre. The Whitby Centennial Building was officially opened on February 18, 1967. A three million dollar renovation was completed in 2003 to mark the building's 150th anniversary and it is now the home of the Whitby Court House Theatre and Whitby Brass Band.
The building has been renamed and is known as the Whitby Centennial Building. It is located at 416 Centre Street South, Whitby.
- Date of Original:
- 18 February 1967
Width: 2 in
Height: 2 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Winter, Brian ; Edwards, Tom ; Newman, Desmond ; McCarl, Vernon
- Corporate Name(s):
- Whitby Centennial Building
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Whitby Archives
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Centennial Building Opening, February 18, 1967, Brian Winter. Whitby Archives A2013_004_102.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from brownie camera negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address