Jack Scott and George Steffler, c.1948
- Mystery Question:
Can you help us to identify any of the people in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina, 1908-1980, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Two unidentified men (likely Jack Scott and George Steffler) standing in front of a house.
- Whitby’s house numbering system was provided by Rev. Dr. James Roy Van Wyck (1877-1941), a retired Presbyterian minister. Van Wyck provided this service to the town, free of charge, during the Great Depression. By the summer of 1935, Whitby had a population of about 4,000 people and a house numbering system was needed. Prior to 1935, residences and businesses were listed in the telephone book with the street on which they were located. As well, there was no need for a house numbering system since all mail was picked up by local residents from the town post office. Under Van Wyck’s system, each block was numbered by a hundred. For instance, the first block south of Dundas on Brock Street was the 100 block; the second, the 200 block, and so on. Buildings on the west side of the street were given even numbers, while buildings on the east side were given odd numbers. On streets running east and west, even numbers were given on the north side while odd numbers were provided on the south. Van Wyck was careful to assign numbers for vacant lots between existing homes. Assigned house and business address numbers were published in the Whitby Gazette and Chronicle and a postcard was mailed to each residence in 1935 with the assigned house number and asking residents to please place this assigned number at their front door. Brooklin was given a house numbering system in the late 1960s or early 1970s, while Ashburn, Myrtle and Myrtle Station received a house numbering system in the 1980s or 1990s.
- Envelope: Jack Scott / George Steffler / Whitby / Mar. 20/48 (1)
- Date of Original:
- March 20, 1948
- Date Of Event:
- March 20, 1948
Width: 5 cm
Height: 3 cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina ; Scott, Jack ; Steffler, George
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Marjorie Ruddy
- Recommended Citation:
- Jack Scott and George Steffler, c.1948, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_1237.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white large format negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address