W.C. Town Christening at All Saints Church, Whitby, Ontario, 1948
- Mystery Question:
Can you help us to identify the man peering around the door in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina, 1908-1980, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Black and white photograph of ten persons in front of All Saints Church in Whitby, Ontario. This is a photo of the parents and godparents on the day of the baptism of three granddaughters born in 1948 to the Town family: Susan, Lynda, and Jennifer. The persons in the photo from left to right:
According to a comment by Janice Teichroeb on this photo, her mother has identified the persons in the photo as follows:
Back row from left to right: Mrs. Matheson (mother of Mary Town nee Matheson), Mr. Matheson (father of Mary), Mr. Davies (father of Irene Town nee Davies), Mrs. Davies (mother of Irene).
Front row from left to right: Mr. W. C. Town (proud Grandfather of the three baby girls and father of Jack, Harry and George - the fathers of the babies), Mrs. Georgina Town nee Phillips (Grandmother), Mrs. Mary Town nee Matheson (wife of Harry) and daughter Jennifer, Mrs. Irene Town nee Davies (wife of George) and daughter Lynda, Mrs. Rose Town (wife of Jack) and daughter Susan, Mrs. Robert Town (mother of W. C. Town).
- William Clarence Town (1885-1963) was a prominent businessman in the town of Whitby. He operated a furniture business starting in 1927 at 126 Brock Street South and in 1954 with his sons, he opened a funeral chapel on Dundas Street East. Mr. Town was a devoted member of All Saints' Anglican Church and served as a warden for the church for many years. Additionally, he was a charter member of the Whitby Rotary Club, and the Whitby Chamber of Commerce.
- Envelope: W.C. Town Christening All Saints Sunday, Oct. 17/48
- Date of Original:
- October 17, 1948
- Date Of Event:
- October 17, 1948
Width: 11 cm
Height: 8 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 11cm
Image Height: 8cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Marjorie Ruddy
- Recommended Citation:
- W.C. Town Christening at All Saints Church, Whitby, Ontario, 1948, Marjorie Ruddy. Whitby Archives A2013_040_1221.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white large format negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address