Construction of Spruce Villa Hotel Addition, 1948
- Mystery Question:
Can you help us to identify any of the people in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marjorie G. Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Black and white negative showing construction workers standing on the footings of the new addition to the Spruce Villa Hotel. The older part of the house is visible in the background.
- This farmhouse was originally constructed in 1872 at 734 Dundas Street West. It was owned by William Clendenan (1826-1906). Around 1918, this property was purchased by Mrs. W.H. Weddell and she turned the house into one of the first bread and breakfasts in Whitby. She renamed the house Spruce Villa because of the line of spruce trees along the property.
In 1924 a small addition was put onto the house. Then in 1927 the brickwork of the house was painted. In 1943, Dr. Florence Purdy took over the hotel. In 1948 a new building was built to entirely surround the farmhouse. The farmhouse remained within the structure. The property was sold to Martin Chizen in 1953.
Spruce Villa continued operation as a hotel until the 1970s. It was demolished June 1, 2000.
- Envelope: Spruce Villa / Alex Scott building / July 9/48 (3)
- Date of Original:
- 21 July 1948
Width: 5 in
Height: 3 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Ruddy, Marjorie Georgina
- Corporate Name(s):
- Spruce Villa Hotel
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Marjorie Ruddy
- Recommended Citation:
- Constructing Spruce Villa Hotel Addition, 1948, Marjorie Ruddy, Whitby Archives, 17-026-014.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a black and white large format negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address