Letter from Wren Blair to Mr. & Mrs. Norm Mould, 1957
- Wren Blair, Author
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Letter from Wren Blair to Mr. & Mrs. Norm Mould thanking them for their support of the Whitby Dunlops and informing them of the team's progress prior to the 1958 World Ice Hockey Championships in Oslo.
- The original Whitby Dunlops were founded in 1954 when the 1952-53 Oshawa Generals were disbanded after their arena burned down. Some of the players, along with coach and manager, Wren Blair, formed the Oshawa Truckers for the 1953-54 season.
In 1954, the Oshawa Truckers relocated to Whitby and were temporarily renamed the Whitby Seniors. The team played out of the Whitby Community Arena and was soon sponsored by the Dunlop Rubber Company. The newly renamed Whitby Dunlops, started their first year as a Senior B team. After winning the league they moved up to the OHA Senior A League.
The Dunlops won the Allan Cup in both 1957 and 1958 and won a gold medal at the World Ice Hockey Championships in 1958 at Oslo, Norway.
Notable members of the Whitby Dunlops include former Whitby mayor, Bob Attersley, former Toronto Maple Leafs captain Sid Smith, and Harry Sinden.
The Whitby Dunlops folded after 1960. They were revived in 2004 by a group of local businessmen and entered the Ontario Hockey Association's Eastern Ontario Senior Hockey League for the 2004–2005 season. The Whitby Dunlops joined Major League Hockey, the top tier for senior men's hockey in Ontario, in 2009.
- Date of Original
- 8 Aug 1957
- Corporate Name(s)
- Whitby Dunlops
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.88342 Longitude: -78.93287
- Copyright Statement
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Recommended Citation
- Letter from Wren Blair to Mr. & Mrs. Norm Mould, 1957. Whitby Archives.
- Reproduction Notes
- Scanned from original.