Whitby Dunlops with Senior B Championship Trophy, 1956
- Lloyd Robertson, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white photograph showing the Whitby Dunlops in the Whitby Community Arena. They are photographed with the Senior B Championship trophy.
- The original Whitby Dunlops were founded in 1954 when the 1952-53 Oshawa Generals were disbanded after their arena burned down. Some of the players, along with coach and manager, Wren Blair, formed the Oshawa Truckers for the 1953-54 season.
In 1954, the Oshawa Truckers relocated to Whitby and were temporarily renamed the Whitby Seniors. The team played out of the Whitby Community Arena and was soon sponsored by the Dunlop Rubber Company. The newly renamed Whitby Dunlops, started their first year as a Senior B team. After winning the league they moved up to the OHA Senior A League.
The Dunlops won the Allan Cup in both 1957 and 1959 and won a gold medal at the World Ice Hockey Championships in 1958 at Oslo, Norway.
Notable members of the Whitby Dunlops include former Whitby mayor, Bob Attersley, former Toronto Maple Leafs captain Sid Smith, and Harry Sinden.
The Whitby Dunlops folded after 1960. They were revived in 2004 by a group of local businessmen and entered the Ontario Hockey Association's Eastern Ontario Senior Hockey League for the 2004–2005 season. The Whitby Dunlops joined Major League Hockey, the top tier for senior men's hockey in Ontario, in 2009.
Back Row: Wren Blair (manager), Norman Mould (Dunlop Tire representative), Neil Attersley, Fred Etcher, Alf Treen, Don McBeth, Bus Gagnon (playing coach), Ted DeGray, Ed Tovey, Wally Brabin (assistant manager), Stan Waylett (trainer).
Front Row: Bob Attersley, Doug Williams, Harry Sinden, Jack Donlevy (goal), Eddie Redmond (captain), Ross Hawe (goal), Frank Bonello, Sandy Air, Tom O'Connor.
In front of team: Danny Blair (mascot)
In front of the team is the W. A. Hewitt Trophy, the most cherished prize in Senior B Hockey.
- Date of Original:
- April 1956
Width: 10 in
Height: 8 in
- Personal Name(s):
- Blair, Wren ; Mould, Norman ; Attersley, Neil ; Etcher, Fred ; Treen, Alf ; McBeth, Don ; Gagnon, Bus ; DeGray, Ted ; Tovey, Ed ; Brabin, Wally ; Waylett, Stan ; Attersley, Bob ; Williams, Doug ; Sinden, Harry ; Donlevy, Jack ; Redmond, Eddie ; Hawe, Ross ; Bonello, Frank ; Air, Sandy ; O'Connor, Tom ; Blair, Danny
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Estate of Bus Gagnon
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Dunlops with Senior B Championship Trophy, 1956, unknown photographer, Whitby Archives, 21-007-333.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy photograph.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address