Lick Family in 1903 Ford, 2003
- Unknown, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Black and white negative showing Lick family members in the recently restored 1903 Ford that belonged to Jeremiah Lick. The car was restored to mark its 100th anniversary. The family are pictured in front of the old Lick residence which is now Sunnycrest Nursing Home.
Left to right: Lucille Huron, Dennis Huron, Marjorie Misters, Greta Shaver.
- The Lick family came to North American from Westerwald, Germany. The family of William and Zeviah (nee Selter) Lick moved to Canada from Jefferson County , New York. The couple had four children.
Jeremiah Lick (1830-1906), was the youngest son of Zeviah and William. He was born in Richmond Hill and when he was still young, the family moved to and purchased land in Darlington. In 1859 Jeremiah married Martha McNeal (1840-1902) by whom he had one son and six daughters: Elmer (1861-1926), Hulda Lick (1864-1914), Amelia Lick (18668-1948), Middie Lick (1869-1959), Martha Lick (1871-1948), Adalina (1874-1944), Louisa (1878-1947).
Martha and Jeremiah purchased the farm on Highway 2/Dundas Street between Thickson and Kendalwood Roads in 1880 within years had one of the largest apple orchards in the province. He was a prosperous farmer who served as Reeve of East Whitby Township and as other positions within Council. In 1903 he became the first farmer to purchase an automobile in the area.
Currently, the Lick's restored 1903 Ford automobiles is owned by Lucille and Walter Huron. Lucille is a great-granddaughter of Jeremiah Lick. Her grandfather was Elmer Lick.
- Date of Original:
Width: 3.5 cm
Height: 2.5 cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Lucille Huron
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Recommended Citation:
- Lick Family in 1903 Ford, 2003, unknown photographer, Whitby Archives, 19-004-008.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address