Brock Street CPR Crossing Accident, 1936
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Black and white negative showing the Brock Street Canadian Pacific Railway crossing. View looking east.
The photograph was taken following an accident on the railway, the car wreckage is visible in front of the station at right.
- At 1:10am on 24 March 1936, three men who had attended at hockey game in Oshawa were returning to their homes in Brooklin when their car was struck by an eastbound freight train at the Canadian Pacific Railway crossing at Brock St.
Arthur Lewis, 25, Fred Bradshaw, 52, and Clarence Zealand, 38, were killed instantly. The car was totally destroyed.
A railway overpass was constructed over Brock Street in 1878-1979.
- Date of Original:
- 24 March 1936
Width: 3.5 cm
Height: 2.5 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Brock Street CPR Crossing, 1936, Marjorie Ruddy, Whitby Archives, 14-004-044.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address