William Davidson, 1949
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white negative showing a portrait photograph of William Davidson, mayor of Whitby.
- William Davidson was born near Guelph on 2 December 1889 and came to Whitby to assist in the construction of Ontario Hospital in 1913. He was an engineer responsible for the building of steam installations at the hospital.
From 1917 to 1962 he operated an automobile dealership in Whitby. Davidson was a member of council in 1924, 1929-1935, 1944, and 1960-1964. He was deputy reeve in 1936-1937 and mayor from 1947-1949. In 1945, he revived the Whitby Chamber of Commerce and was chairman of the Public Library Board and member of the Public Utilities Commission. He received the Peter Perry award in 1957.
Davidson died at Oshawa on 26 October 1965 and is buried at Mount Lawn Cemetery, Whitby.
- Date of Original:
Width: 2.5 cm
Height: 3.5 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- William Davidson, 1949, Marjorie Ruddy, Whitby Archives, 31-002-064.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from original negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address