Spruce Villa Hotel, 1936
- Marjorie Ruddy, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Rear view of the Spruce Villa Hotel at 734 Dundas St. W.
- This farmhouse was originally constructed in 1872 at 734 Dundas Street West. It was owned by a farmer called William Clendenan (1826-1906). Around 1918, this property was purchased by Mrs. W.H. Weddell and she turned the house into one of the first bread and breakfasts in Whitby. She renamed the house Spruce Villa because of the line of spruce trees along the property.
In 1924 a small addition was put onto the house. Then in 1927 the brickwork of the house was painted. In 1943, Dr. Florence Purdy took over the hotel. In 1948 a new building was built to entirely surround the farmhouse. The farmhouse remained within the structure. The property was sold to Martin Chizen in 1953.
Spruce Villa continued operation as a hotel until the 1970s. It was demolished June 1, 2000.
- Date of Original:
- February 1936
Width: 3.5 cm
Height: 2.5 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photograhps Collection
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Spruce Villa, 1936, Marjorie Ruddy, Whitby Archives, 17-026-018.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from original negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address