Whitby Women in the Second World War
Women in the Community
Whitby women who were not enrolled in military service did a lot to help the men and women serving overseas. They organized fundraisers, helped with rationing, and played an important role in the community.
The Whit-Knit Club was particularly important on the Whitby homefront during the Second World war. Formed by 15 high school students in 1940, the women of the Whit-Knit Club knit socks for Whitby soldiers overseas. The club was chartered under the War Charities Act in 1941.
By September 1941, more than 100 socks had been shipped to Europe. The club expanded its membership and began a second shipment containing razors, chocolates, and cigarettes.
To finance their endeavours, the Whit-Knit Club did odd-jobs around the community which included cutting lawns, babysitting, and hosting dinners and dances. Over 200 people attended the 2nd annual Whit-Knit fundraiser dance. By the end of the war, the club had provided 321 parcels to Whitby soldiers.
The women of the Whit-Knit Club often received letters from thankful soldiers who appreciated the packages. Click the link at left to see a letter from Major J.H. Perry to Ella Muir, Whit-Knit Secretary!