Canada Barrels and Kegs, Waterloo, Ontario
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Two employees of the cooperage working on different processes of creating the barrels. Man on the left is Emiel Moser operating the machine that shapes the ends of the barrel staves and cuts the croze, or groove, in which the barrel head will fit. Man on the right is Elmer Moser and he is brushing out the interior of the barrel to remove all traces of sawdust and resin.
- Company founded in 1872 by Karl Mueller called Mueller Cooperage and operated out of a frame building at Regina and Erb streets. A brick plant was built in 1906 on Shantz Avenue (later Canbar Avenue, no longer exists) with Karl's son, John Charles taking over. In 1914 the company was incorporated as Charles Mueller Cooperage.
Business was sold to the Seagram family in 1920 and name changed to Canada Barrels and Kegs. In 1960 a division was created to produce Crestliner fibreglass boats under licence to the US owners of Crestliner. Boat production ceased in 1975. Company was registered as Canbar in 1973, and eventually moved to Breslau, Ontario. Factory was demolished in the 1990s.
Photograph published in "Rolling Out the Barrels 70 Years" a promotional pamphlet from 1942.
- Information written on reverse.
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
Width: 25 cm
Height: 20 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 25cm
Image Height: 20cm
- Local identifier:
- ELP 55 49 9
- Ellis Little Collection
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
Waterloo Public Library
Agency street/mail address
35 Albert Street, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 5E2