Sunshine Waterloo Company Sunshine News newsletter, October/November 1943
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Copies of a newsletter from the Sunshine Waterloo company.
- The Sunshine Waterloo Company (later SunarHauserman Limited) was started in 1930 as a joint venture of the H.V. McKay Company of Melbourne, Australia and the Waterloo Manufacturing Company, Limited to make combines for the North American and Argentine markets.
During the Depression the grain harvesters were being phased out as the farmers could not afford to buy them, and the company produced automotive stampings for cars. Waterloo Manufacturing withdrew from the joint venture in 1934. The company expanded to bed warmers, baby carriages, roller skates and industrial steel shelving. In 1939 Sunshine began manufacturing bombs, land mines, army truck doors, gun mounts, airplane parts and complete nose assemblies for the Mosquito fighter-bomber. The company operated around the clock and was Waterloo's largest employer during the war years.
After the war it returned to normal production and added office furniture in the 1940s and 1950s. Massey Ferguson Limited of Toronto acquired the company in the mid-1950s. The company then concentrated on steel office furniture, library shelving and school lockers and the name was changed to Sunshine Office Equipment Limited. In 1964 the company acquired Art Woodwork of Montreal and the name was changed to Sunar Limited a combination of the two company names. In 1978 Sunar was sold to E.F. Hauserman Inc. of Cleveland. In 1983 it became SunarHauserman Limited with the head office in Waterloo. The company closed in 1990.
- Date of Publication
- Oct 1943
Width: 25 cm
Height: 20 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 25cm
Image Height: 20cm
- Arms & armament
Bicycles & tricycles
Strollers (Baby carriages)
World War II
Waterloo Manufacturing Company (Waterloo, Ont.)
Sunshine Waterloo Company (Waterloo, Ont.)
SunarHauserman Limited (Waterloo, Ont.)
1 Sunshine Avenue (Waterloo, Ontario)
Victory Loan Campaign
H.V. McKay Company (Melbourne, Australia)
- Local identifier
- Sunshine Newsletters 1-10
- Sunshine Waterloo
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.461941 Longitude: -80.534737
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- Sunshine Waterloo Collection Box
- Waterloo Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
35 Albert Street, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 5E2