J. Letter and Son Furniture and Funeral Directors, Waterloo, Ontario. Christmas Window, 1913
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Copy of a photograph of the exterior of J. Letter and Son Furniture store at 38 King Street south, showing the shop windows decorated for Christmas 1913. Note the Santa Claus figure and reindeer, Christmas tree, tiffany lamp and signage advertising the store's services. Sign on the front door reads "Funeral Directors and Embalmers"
- In 1898 J. Letter and Son is listed as a contractor. The J. Letter and Son furniture store opened November 28, 1907, on what was later 38 King Street south, just north of the railroad tracks. An attached undertaking business started a few months later on July 1, 1908. John's son Norman ran the businesses with his father. Norman took over the business after his father's death in 1925 and renamed it N.H. Letter, Funeral Directors and Home Furnishers. By 1927 the business had moved to 46 and 48 King Street north, closer to Princess Street.
Norman's son, Howard worked with his father in the businesses, which moved to 116 King Street north at the corner of Spring Street in the 1930s where the sign read "Letter's and Dreisinger's Undertaking". The business was associated with C. Dreisinger Furniture and Undertaking in Elmira.
The business closed in 1943 upon the retirement of Norman Letter and the building was changed back into a residence for Norman and his wife Lydia. The building was demolished in the 1970s and the land sold.
See Waterloo Historical Society Journal, Volume 92, 2004.
- Handwritten at bottom; "Xmas window - Dec 1913".
- Date of Original:
- December 1913
- Date Of Event:
- December 1913
Width: 25 cm
Height: 20 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 25cm
Image Height: 20cm
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- The Letter Family
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original:
- Waterloo Historical Society has the original negative of the photo.
Waterloo Public Library
Agency street/mail address
35 Albert Street, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 5E2