Little history of Sulphide has been recorded and as a result there is little known about the once lively area. Gerald's Boyce's book 'Historic Hastings' contains enough information to inform us that in approximately 1880 the American Madoc Mining Company had originally set up a gold mine on the site near to what would be soon known as the Village of Sulphide. Around the year 1900, the mine was taken over by the Nichols Chemical Company which made the shift from gold mining to the production of sulphides. We also learn that in 1964 the company was forced to shut down as a result of a large share loss in the market following the shutdown of Bancroft Uranium Mines. There is also some facts within the Tweed Women's Institute 'Volume 1, Book 1,' which will be made reference to throughout this essay.
This information answers the "What is it?" question, but doesn't give us any answers in regards to the everyday life of the residents of Sulphide and what happened to everyone when the plant closed.