U.S.S. No. 17, Ash Public School
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- In 1875, the wooden frame school was built. It burned down in 1932. This is the brick building which replaced it, built in 1934, still a one-room schoolhouse.
Florence Meares started her teaching career here in 1934 at age 18. She was a dedicated, passionate educator who also worked for the rights of woment teachers.
Mrs. Mary Proud was another of the Ash teachers. She taught there from 1942-1945. Her own children then were old enough to attend the school so she left until they had graduated, when she returned as the teacher at Ash school.
Mrs. Jean Robertson was the last teacher at U.S.S. #17 when it closed in 1957.
The school was located on Tremaine Rd. (formerly called "Town Line") at Lower Baseline Rd. It was a "union" school drawing children from both Nelson and Trafalgar Townships.
This photograph was taken sometime in the 1950's.
- A list of all teachers, assistants and caretakers was prepared for the 1998 reunion. No dates were provided so they are listed here in alphabetical order: Teachers: Jean Baylis, Mrs. Birch, Erma Coulson, Mrs. Douglas, Mrs. Jean Emerson, Miss Hallpenny, Mrs. Ivy Jepson, Jean Kemp, Florence Mears, ? McClure, Mary Proud, Gwen Pamenter, Jean Robertson, Dorothy Sparks, Mrs. Laura VanSickle, Doberthein Watkins, Grace Wilson.
Music Teachers: Mr. Jack Asher, Miss Monica Bernard, Miss Osbourne, Mrs. Russel.
Caretakers: Verna Gowland, Sally (and Allan) Patterson.
School Inspectors: J.M. Denyes, Lorne Skuce.
- Date of Original:
- ca 1950s
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Ash Public School, S.S. #17
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton