Trafalgar Township Historical Society Digital Collections
3394 Dundas Street West, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
Description
Media Type
Image
Item Type
Photographs
Description
We have a number of records with a good deal of Smith family information in our internet collection, linked together in the Group, "John D. Smith Family, Palermo" under the photograph in this record.

We have a photo of Reg ca1940. Reg lived and farmed on the property originally owned by his great-grandfather Isaac Smith until the development of Bronte Creek Provincial Park in 1972.

We know that 3394 Dundas Street West, RR #2 Oakville was the 200 acre Lot 34 Concession 1, SDS, Trafalgar Township. This is on the south side of Dundas Street, just east of Tremaine Rd., west of the old village of Palermo. This is now the north-east corner of Bronte Creek Provincial Park.

At the time of photographing, Reg Smith told Parks Canada the house was built in 1835. Reg told them it had been built by John Garlin Smith - legal documents show his name more commonly spelled "John Dorland Smith" or also "John Durlin Smith".

John Dorland Smith's grandparents had been British Loyalists who came to the Niagara penninsula and settled in Grimsby Township. The family was large, bringing 4 children with 8 more children born in Upper Canada. John's father was was their oldest son, Isaac, born in New Jersey (1754-1826) and his mother was Hannah Wilcox (1759-1838).

Isaac Smith received the land titles to various lots in Trafalgar Township and in 1831, he transferred the title of Lot 34, Concession 1 South of Dundas Street to John.

4 photographs of different aspects of the house as well as the two index card sides are included in this record. Click on "Select Pages" above to view the house photographs. Image No. 2 is the front of the Parks Canada cataloguing index card which shows all the photographs taken. Not all are uploaded but can be requested.

Notes
In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.

The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.

The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.

Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.

At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.

All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
Inscriptions
Coding on the front of the card: 06177001703394. Province is 06, Negative is 0zy21. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938
On the card verso: 06177001703394
Date Of Event
December 31, 1971
Subject(s)
Personal Name(s)
Reginald Smith, born May 29, 1923, died May 29, 2010
Local identifier
TTCIHB000808
Collection
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Language of Item
English
Copyright Statement
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Recommended Citation
3394 Dundas Street West, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
Terms of Use
Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
Contact
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Email
WWW address

Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

thumbnail








3394 Dundas Street West, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971


We have a number of records with a good deal of Smith family information in our internet collection, linked together in the Group, "John D. Smith Family, Palermo" under the photograph in this record.

We have a photo of Reg ca1940. Reg lived and farmed on the property originally owned by his great-grandfather Isaac Smith until the development of Bronte Creek Provincial Park in 1972.

We know that 3394 Dundas Street West, RR #2 Oakville was the 200 acre Lot 34 Concession 1, SDS, Trafalgar Township. This is on the south side of Dundas Street, just east of Tremaine Rd., west of the old village of Palermo. This is now the north-east corner of Bronte Creek Provincial Park.

At the time of photographing, Reg Smith told Parks Canada the house was built in 1835. Reg told them it had been built by John Garlin Smith - legal documents show his name more commonly spelled "John Dorland Smith" or also "John Durlin Smith".

John Dorland Smith's grandparents had been British Loyalists who came to the Niagara penninsula and settled in Grimsby Township. The family was large, bringing 4 children with 8 more children born in Upper Canada. John's father was was their oldest son, Isaac, born in New Jersey (1754-1826) and his mother was Hannah Wilcox (1759-1838).

Isaac Smith received the land titles to various lots in Trafalgar Township and in 1831, he transferred the title of Lot 34, Concession 1 South of Dundas Street to John.

4 photographs of different aspects of the house as well as the two index card sides are included in this record. Click on "Select Pages" above to view the house photographs. Image No. 2 is the front of the Parks Canada cataloguing index card which shows all the photographs taken. Not all are uploaded but can be requested.