Wesley Methodist Church, Snider's Corners
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The front door faced south onto Burnhamthorpe Road.
Snider's Corners was a large rural area centered around the church, school and community centre at the intersection of Ninth Line and Burnhamthorpe Road, Lot 6 NDS Con 2 Halton County. The area was opened as part of Trafalgar Township in Halton County but the City of Mississauga or Toronto Township as it was first named also has heritage claims to this area.
As per the 2018 Appendix E Stage 1 Archaeological Assessment of Burnhamthorpe Road West...by New Directions Archaeology Ltd., linked in this record for your further information, the church was built as a Wesleyan Church in 1839 on a corner of the Snider family farm. This congregation closed and the church was reopened in 1870 as a Methodist congregation. In 1886, the original church building was demolished and a new building erected. It was sold in 1964 and demolished sometime after that.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.5209178351335 Longitude: -79.7188949206543
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Wesley Methodist Church, Snider's Corners
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton