S.S. #4 Trafalgar, Snider's School Students, 1901
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The photograph here is scanned from a poor photocopy of the original. The photographer over-exposed the right side of the image in the original. The final quality problem is that the resolution of the image in our record is lower. This all makes it difficult to see the people in the photograph. (Click on "Full Image" to see a larger version of the photo.)
If you wish to see the best resolution, please contact the TTHS as there is a large resolution TIF scan of the photocopy in our back-up.
The 1858 Tremaine's map shows the school within the southwest corner of Lot 5 Con 1 NDS.
We know S.S. #4 was in use by 1877 as per the Walker and Miles map, and the 1878 Atlas shows it right on the corner on the southwest side of Ninth Line and Burnhamthorpe Road, Lot 6 Con 1 NDS. A 2018 Archaeological study says this change is likely an error in the mapping - the study is linked here for your further information.
This photograph clearly shows the wooden sidewalk up to the front entrance, and the arched windows. The school was painted white, a board and batten building. The round school sign was up near the eaves, above the front door and windows. We have a number of photos of the building, activities at the school and of the "new" Snider's School built in 1956 in our internet collection.
(The first owner of the 200 acre Lot 6 was William Tisdale.)
S.S. #4 Trafalgar, Snider's School was closed in 1956. The building was used as a house until 2010 when it was torn down for road widening. At that time, the Town of Oakville gave the old "S.S. #4" sign boards to the Trafalgar Township Historical Society.
- Date Of Event
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.5215557692886 Longitude: -79.7159337619018
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- S.S. #4 Trafalgar, Snider's School Students, 1901
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton